What is the Personal Learning Account?
The Personal Learning Account provides you with a way of accessing a wide range of free and flexible
These courses allow you to gain new skills and qualifications that employers want – helping you to
progress in your current career or open up new job opportunities.
You can study these courses around your current job and family commitments with a range of locations and
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for training through the Personal Learning Account, you must meet at least one of the
following criteria, and be:
- employed (including self-employed) and earning under £26,000, or
- a furloughed worker, including anyone who has accessed or is accessing the UK Government Job Retention Scheme (which runs until December 2020) or the Job Support Scheme (in operation from 1st November 2020), or
- on a zero hours contract, or
- an agency staff, or
- at risk of being made redundant, or
- an employed individual that have been or potentially will be 'financially' negatively impacted by
the economy, for example where your anticipated annual salary this financial year will be less than
£26,000, or the future of your employment could be potentially at risk due to working in a sector
which is likely to see a negative impact going forward due to COVID-19
You also must be over the age of 19, live in Wales and be able to travel to the college venue, if
You are ineligible (at the point of application) if you are:
- under the age of 19, or
- attending school or college full-time as a pupil or student, or
- in full-time higher education, or
- in Welsh Government-funded work-based learning, or
- an ineligible overseas national, or
- in receipt of an Assembly Learning Grant or Education Maintenance Allowance, or
- unemployed i.e. does not have a contract of employment
How much will the training cost?
Nothing, the cost of the training is 100% funded by the Welsh Government. However, you will need to pay
for your travel and ensure you have sufficient time to be able to commit to attending and completing the
Do I need any prior skills or qualifications?
No. The programme is aimed at individuals who would like to change their career and so most courses can
be accessed with no specific skills or qualifications. You will have the opportunity to discuss the
course requirements with the college when you have a pre-admission assessment.
Can I access more than one course?
Yes, prior to starting the course you will develop a training plan which will set out the
courses/qualifications you can undertake to help you progress your career in whichever sector you
Please note – you are only able to enrol on one PLA course at a time. When emailing or filling in the form, can you please state which course is your preferred first choice.
What courses are available? When do they start?
We have a wide range of courses that cover a variety of different sectors.
Alongside courses taught at the college, we also have a range of online courses available. These may be a
mixture of online and social-distanced practical work, and some courses can be started at any time.
More courses are being added all the time, so bookmark our page and keep checking back for new
Computing & IT:
Here are the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions, or email firstname.lastname@example.org