Competent electricians who wish to become proficient in the installation of small scale SPV systems and wish to use the qualification to progress to formal recognition of their competence via an industry body/scheme
The qualification comprises of knowledge/understanding and performance units, which between them cover the skills, knowledge and understanding required the installation of small scale SPV systems, e.g. dwelling installations.
Summary of Learning Outcomes
1. Know the health and safety risks and safe systems of work associated with solar photovoltaic system installation work
2. Know the requirements of the relevant regulations/ standards relating to practical installation, testing and commissioning activities for solar photovoltaic system installation work
3. Know the fundamental differences between a.c and d.c circuits within solar photovoltaic systems
4. Know the purpose of solar photovoltaic system components
5. Know the types, silicon characteristics and typical conversion efficiencies of solar photovoltaic modules
6. Know the fundamental design principles used to determine solar photovoltaic system module array size and position requirements
7. Know the preparatory work required for solar photovoltaic system installation work
8. Know the layouts and the requirements for installing solar photovoltaic module arrays
9. Know solar photovoltaic system d.c and a.c circuit installation layouts within the scope of the relevant Engineering Recommendation for grid tied systems
10. Know solar photovoltaic system protection techniques and components
11. Know the requirements to test and commission solar photovoltaic systems
12. Know the requirements to handover solar photovoltaic systems.
13. Plan and prepare for the installation of a solar photovoltaic system
14. Install solar photovoltaic system components
15. Inspect and test a new solar photovoltaic system installation
16. Commission a new solar photovoltaic system installation
17. Handover a new solar photovoltaic system installation.