This is an introductory course designed for school leavers who wish to enter the field of health, social care or childcare. The course offers preparatory units on a variety of topics which provide insight into the key requirements of a health/social care/childcare professional.
Careers in the health, social and children’s development sector involve putting others before ourselves and using your skills to keep others safe and well.
The course will help you develop your understanding of the theoretical, legal, psychological, social and educational principles which underpin working effectively to care, support, empower and develop others.
The course helps you develop your communication skills and your understanding of working with diverse and often vulnerable individuals. The course will also develop the skills needed for successful study and progression to higher level qualifications.
During the programme you will also build your understanding of the range of careers in this sector.
Attending an Open Event with us gives you the opportunity to find out more about working in this sector and the range of careers this starting course can lead you to. You will be able to ask any questions you may have about the course, life at college, or working in health, social, or children’s development, care and education sectors.
UNITS INCLUDE (these may vary across sites):
Health and Social Care/Childcare:
To support you along the way, the units studied include being organised, developing a personal progression plan, working with others, researching a topic and a range from the following list:
- Planning a safe childcare environment
- Supporting children's learning through everyday experiences
- Communication skills for Health and Social Care
- Welsh Language in nurseries for Early Years Practitioners (greetings, needs, numbers, colours, expression of intent, days of the week)
- Play and child development
- Awareness of Safeguarding in Health and Social Care (Adults, Children and Young People), Early Years and Childcare
- Getting people active
- Keeping active and healthy
- Understand the range of service provision and roles within Health and Social Care
- Making healthy snacks
- Interactive presentation skills
- Creative Activities
- Plan and carry out creative activities
- Baby care - personal care needs
You will be allocated a personal tutor to support you with your personal and academic progress throughout your time in college.