Key Details

  • Available at
    Dolgellau, Pwllheli
  • Level
    3
  • Study Mode
    Full-time
  • Programme Area
    International, AS/A-Level
  • Course Length

    1-2 years

  • Course Type
    Full-Time (Further Education)
  • Bilingual

    This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):

    • Dolgellau
    • Pwllheli

Please note: We recommend that you have access to a laptop/chromebook to enable coursework to be completed digitally at home. There is a dedicated IT Digital Inclusion fund to support those learners who do not have a digital device and are unable to purchase one.

Course Description

Would you like to develop a broad understanding of product design? This course is aimed at a wide range of students who wish to appreciate the complex relations between design, materials, manufacture and marketing. It allows you to gain skills in designing and making products, which will be demonstrated through practical coursework.

The course can be taken as part of a full-time programme of study in conjunction with other AS subjects, or possibly with other Level 3 qualifications.

The course can also be taken on a part-time basis by mature students.

The course gives you an introduction to the field of design and manufacturing technology. You will have the opportunity to develop your design and making skills through sketchbook and project work. You will also be able to use computerised design systems (CAD/CAM), and will have opportunities to experience product design in industrial context. Foreign trips and educational visits to exhibitions may also be arranged.

Year 1 (AS)

Unit 1 - Theory: This unit focuses on developing your knowledge and understanding of designing and making principles, together with the technical principles related to product design; such as materials and manufacturing processes. The unit is worth 50% of the AS grade and will involve a written exam.

Unit 2 - Design and Make Task: This unit gives you the opportunity to put theory into practice. You will follow the design process to create a 3D prototype product that meets the needs of a specific customer. This unit is worth 50% of the AS grade and will involve a project based on your own area of interest.

Year 2 (A2)

The AS result contributes to 40% of the A2 grade, with the remaining 60% from the following year 2 units:

Unit 3 - Theory: This unit aims to build on the knowledge and understanding gained from Unit 1 (AS) by exploring the wider issues that impact product design; to include commercial and industrial practices and working within regulations and legislation. The unit is worth 30% of the A2 grade and will involve a written exam.

Unit 4 - Design and Make Task: This unit gives you another opportunity to put theory into practice. You will follow the design process to create a 3D prototype product that meets the needs of a specific customer. Although similar in structure to Unit 2 (AS), there is more emphasis on innovation and creativity in design in Unit 4 (A2). This unit is worth 30% of the AS grade and will involve a project based on your own area of interest.

Entry Criteria

In order to qualify for this course, you will need the following:

  • 6 GCSEs at grade C or above, including English or Welsh 1st Language
  • GCSE Design and Technology or related subject grade C

As part of the application process, you will be asked to attend an interview to give you the opportunity to discuss the course.

Progression to A Level is based on your performance at AS Level.

Delivery

The course is delivered through a blend of the following:

  • Lectures and classroom work to include group work
  • Interactive resources on the course - Google Classroom (VLE)
  • Listening, reading and responding
  • Practical workshop sessions

Assessment

The theory units will be examined in May/June each year. The project and portfolio work will be assessed in parts throughout the year and externally moderated in early May.

Progression

Whether you study the full A Level or just the AS Level, the course adds to your qualifications and helps you to progress. You will gain UCAS points and be able to apply for a range of Higher Education courses at many institutions, including Grŵp Llandrillo Menai.

If you choose to continue your studies in a related subject, there are many university courses available, and your studies on the A Level course will help you to make an informed choice from the options available.

You could progress onto a Foundation Degree in Art and Design, or apply for a degree in teaching, product design, jewellery design, fashion and textiles, engineering, architecture, or any other area which interests you.

Would you like to apply for this course?

Dolgellau
Pwllheli