The Football Academy will provide you with opportunities and support to develop your sporting skills and experiences, as well as studying a full-time academic course at Coleg Menai. It provides a holistic programme which will include physical, technical, tactical and psychological development as well as lifestyle management.
In partnership with CREAD, Always Aim High Events and the Football Association of Wales, the Academi aims to provide talented football players in North West Wales with the opportunity to play, train and develop under the guidance of UEFA-qualified coaches. There are also strength and conditioning sessions with an Olympic athlete.
Whilst the Coleg Menai Football Academy will prepare you for a possible career in professional / semi-professional football, we also place great emphasis on your academic progress and performance.
Continuing with your studies as well as your sport enables you to keep your options open.
The football programme at Academi Menai runs alongside the BTEC Level 3 Sport (Performance and Excellence) course. Depending on your grades, this course may provide you with the qualifications needed for entry onto a university level course.
As one of only eight colleges accredited as a Focus College by the Football Association of Wales, our football academy teams participate in the Premier Division of the British Colleges North West League. Players are exposed to a high level of competition, with regular competitive fixtures which have an intensity, physicality and skill level that is above and beyond what they'll have experienced at school or at U16 level.
As part of the Academi Menai Football programme, learners have access to the following:
- 4.5 hours timetabled for football and conditioning sessions with fixtures played on Wednesdays
- Individual and team analysis
- Nutritional advice
- Opportunities to represent Welsh Colleges U18 and U19 and Welsh Schools U18 squads
- Opportunities to gain extra-curricular qualifications
Academi Menai has an excellent record of success in the field of football, being Welsh Schools U19 Cup Champions in 2013 and 2014. It has also produced many national squad members, with 32 learners being selected for the Welsh Colleges U18 and 19s and the Welsh Schools u18 football squads since 2011.
Academi Menai also offers opportunities in a range of other sports, including Rugby (Boys and Girls), Cross Country and Athletics, Girls Football, Basketball and Golf.
Monday & Tuesday: 10:55-12:25: Technical tactical sessions
Thursday 10:55-12:25: Strength and conditioning session at the Canolfan Brailsford sports centre with Gareth Evans, Olympic & Commonwealth weight lifter.
- Owain Tudur Jones: Level 3 Sport (Sport and Exercise Science) – Swansea City, Norwich City & Wales
- Dion Donohue: Level 3 Sport (Performance and Excellence) and Engineering – Chesterfield FC
- Ifan Emlyn Jones: Level 3 Sport (Performance and Excellence) – Bangor City, Wales U18, Welsh Colleges U18 and U19 (captain) & Welsh Schools U18
- Shaun Cavanagh: Level 3 Sport (Performance and Excellence) – Bangor City FC, Welsh Colleges U18 and U19 (captain) and Welsh Schools U18
- John Owen: Level 3 Sport (Sport and Exercise Science) – Rhyl FC
- Iwan Parry: Level 3 Sport (Sports Coaching, Development and Fitness) – Wales Athletics U20 (High Jump)