15 Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor Construction and Engineering students recently went down to Coleg Sir Gâr in Ammanford to compete in the UKSkillbuild Welsh Final competition, competing in bricklaying, plastering, site carpentry, bench joinery, plumbing and drywall systems. The students achieved great success, returning with a very respectable haul of medals as follows:
- Advanced Bricklaying - Ifan Williams from Pwllheli - Gold
- Advanced Site Carpentry - Cai Henshaw from Penrhyndeudraeth - Gold. Cai is apprenticed to former Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor student Owain Jones, who competed at World level in the World Skills competition in Brazil in 2015. Owain gained a Medallion of Excellence in that competition
- Advanced Plumbing - Gwion Jones from Ganllwyd, Dolgellau - Gold
- Advanced Plumbing - Matthew Maslin from Tywyn - Silver
- Dry wall Systems - Edward Rawlinson from Llanystumdwy - Silver
- Advanced Bench Joinery - Gerallt Jones from Tywyn - Bronze
Construction and Engineering Programme Area Manager, Michael Taylor, at Dolgellau campus's Camda site, said:
We would like to congratulate the students on coming home with this clutch of medals. They have done themselves and the College proud. Their success reflects the work, dedication and commitment they put in before and during the competition, as well as the efforts of our dedicated staff, who really do go the extra mile to help the students perform at this high level.
Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor offers a range of courses and qualifications including construction, welding and engineering. If you need more information on any of our courses, please visit the courses section of our website or contact our course advice line on 01341 422 827.