Important Entry Requirement & Application Update
Once you've applied, you will be invited to attend a virtual information event at the beginning of 2021. At this event, you will have the opportunity to find out more about your course, meet the staff and ask any questions that you may have.
If your course requires an interview you will receive an email with details about your video call. There will be no need for you to come on site. Don't worry if you don't receive an email about an interview, not every course needs one.
Is this course right for me?
Would you like a career in the practical building trades?
This programme gives you an entry point into the built environment industry. It is ideal for anyone who wants to develop general building skills through practical hands-on experience.
The programme allows you to sample a range of occupations. You will gain fundamental trade skills, preparing you for employment and further study. At the end of the programme, you can make an informed decision about which technical area you want to work in.
In order to access this course, you will need at least one of the following:
- You will be expected to demonstrate a commitment to study by achieving your GCSE target grades and completing year 11 with good attendance.
- or Successful completion of a Traineeship or Pre-vocational programme
As part of the application process, you will be asked to attend an interview to give you the opportunity to discuss the course.
This programme includes the following modules:
- Pre Foundation Qualification in Construction which will include a variety of trades such as plastering, brickwork, plumbing, painting and carpentry depending on the campus you choose.
- Essential Skills Wales; Application of Number and Communication Skills OR GCSE (for learners who achieved a grade D in either, English, Maths or Welsh.
- Group and individual Tutorial Sessions
The programme is delivered through a blend of the following:
- Both practical and theory-based classes
- Realistic work environments
- Specialised workshops for the different trades
- Workbook tasks
This programme is assessed through a blend of the following:
- Observation of your practical work
- Assignments with practical and job knowledge tasks
- Portfolio of classroom work
The programme provides entry onto the Foundation Qualification in Construction where there is a focus on at least 2 trades (for further information look up the Foundation in Construction qualifications)
Progression into an Apprenticeship; this route would still require learners who have achieved the Pre-Foundation in Construction to achieve the Foundation in Construction Qualification if an apprenticeship in a construction discipline is secured.