Is this course right for me?
Would you like a career in health and social care? This programme provides an industry recognised foundation level qualification, delivered by experienced professionals. It aims to prepare you to progress onto Advanced study or into the health or social care sector.
After completing the programme, you will be able to apply to work in a number of roles, including support and sessional work across the care sector. You will also be prepared for Advanced study, and eventual careers including nursing, social work and residential.
The health, social and childcare sector is about putting others before ourselves, therefore your interview will help us decide if you are suitable to engage with the more vulnerable members of society. In your interview, we will discuss the importance of suitable work experience in the sector. The interview will also give you the opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the course.
In order to qualify for this course, you will need at least one of the following:
- Industry experience or a relevant Level 1 qualification; plus minimum Entry 3 in Numeracy and Communication respectively
As part of the application process, you will be asked to attend an interview to give you the opportunity to discuss the course.
The programme will consist of the All Wales Core qualification which allows for registration to work in the sector.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Group work
- Classroom-based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- Sector guest speakers or events
The vocational qualification is assessed through a combination of internal and external assessment. Candidates must successfully complete:
- Three externally set, internal scenario-based assessments
- One externally set, externally marked multiple-choice test
The wider programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical and written assessments/assignments
- Presentations and demonstrations
- Portfolios of work
- Performance and observation
- Externally assessed examinations
- Work experience related tasks and portfolios
Completion of this course improves your employability and gives you important knowledge and skills. It will prepare you for a career in healthcare, social care or childcare. Successful completion would enable you to immediately register to work in the sector.
In education, the course gives you a number of options. At Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, you could progress onto a number of courses, including:
- Childcare Level 3
- Health and Social Care Level 3