Important Entry Requirement & Application Update
College is still accepting online applications for courses starting in September 2020.
Interviews are cancelled to help to limit social contact during this time.
Instead, you will be invited to a college welcome event to meet the tutors before the start of the course. If you do not meet the entry criteria you will have the opportunity to discuss an alternative programme during this event.
Is this course right for me?
Are you interested in working in the Health and Care sector? Would you like to pursue a career in working in residential care homes, hospitals, childcare nurseries and many other care situations? This programme allows you to study and learn skills in the following topics:
- Introduction to developing parenting skills
- Parenting awareness
- Attitudes and values for personal development
- Introduction to drug and alcohol awareness
- Dealing with problems in daily life
- Take part in leisure activities
- Healthy living
- Personal presentation and hygiene
- Conduct at work
- Effective Communication
- Environmental awareness
The focus during the year is to help you plan and get ready for either employment or further study at college and give you skills to work with others. We help you develop these skills through various outings and activities, including visits to historical sites in Liverpool and Llanberis, beach activities at Newborough Forest, sports days, plus many more hands-on activities. The main qualification is City and Guilds in Employability and Personal and Social Development Skills. We also include Maths and English qualifications, which may be at GCSE level if required. This programme also includes the John Muir Environmental Award which is an environmental award scheme focused on wild places. It helps people connect with, enjoy and care for wild places.
In order to qualify for this course, you will need at least one of the following:
- You will be expected to demonstrate a commitment to study by achieving your GCSE target grades and completing year 11 with good attendance.
- Successful completion of a Traineeship, Pre-vocational, Pathways or School Link Programme
- Relevant industry experience
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Case studies
- Educational visits
- Group work
- Classroom-based learning
- Tutorial support
- MOODLE and Google classroom (virtual learning environment)
We use many assessment methods, some of which may be familiar to you and others a new experience. These methods will include:
- Group assignments
- Exams these mainly being in GCSE’s
Completion of this course will develop the required knowledge and confidence to progress onto a Level 1 qualification in Health and Social Care. Alternatively, you could use the qualification to gain entry level employment within the Health and Social care sector.