Is this course right for me?
This pathway is suitable for Commis Chefs, Chefs de Partie and Pub Chefs who’s tasks involve:
- Preparing and producing a variety of foods within a kitchen environment
- Responsible for organising kitchen operations and preparing and serving a range of dishes and ensure brand standards
- Working with fresh, local produce while also committed to high standards, cooking good quality pub food
- Menu planning and costing, ordering, stock control and kitchen hygiene.
The units have been specifically chosen to ensure that they complement industry requirements, in addition that skills and knowledge are fully tested throughout the framework. Apprentices will complete a skills and knowledge unit for each work area. For example the skills unit; Produce Basic Poultry Dishes, is complemented by the knowledge unit: Principles of Producing Basic Poultry Dishes. No formal qualifications are required, however employers are particularly interested in those who have a keen interest in providing excellent customer service and in working as part of a team, have a “can do attitude” and have high standards of personal hygiene. Applicants will need basic communication skills on which this apprenticeship will build, be excellent timekeepers and be willing to work unsociable hours, in often hot, busy and noisy premises.
All apprentices must have an employer who can cover the QCF criteria.
No formal qualifications are required but experience in the hospitality industry is desirable.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The majority of training is provided in the workplace. Attendance at college-based sessions to complete theory tasks and tests is essential.
- Completion of a portfolio of evidence
- Work based observations
- Theory based tasks and tests
Progression from this pathway could be into kitchen management and head chef roles within licensed hospitality.