Is this course right for me?
This course is to help prepare you for the workplace or for a higher level course. The course is contextualised to different workplace roles such as: Childcare, Classroom Assistants, Care, Retail, Hospitality, or Business Administration.
- Improve your workplace Welsh and English literacy skills through varied and interesting activities focussing on developing spelling, grammar, speaking and listening, and writing skills.
- Brush up on numeracy looking at ‘The four rules of number’ - addition, subtraction, division and multiplication. Further developing these skills by applying them to be used in Spreadsheets and other workplace tasks/scenarios.
- Develop your existing IT skills using Email and Internet for the workplace. Exploring useful applications and tools. Making use of the Office Suite (Word processing, Presentations, Spreadsheets and Publishing). How to manage files and folders.
- Build your confidence to work as part of a team and speak in small groups (team meetings)through discussions and debate.
You will work on a career action plan to map out your learning or career goals into manageable chunks. You will receive support and guidance to complete applications for further training or employment.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
Students will be expected to demonstrate their commitment to complete the full 15 weeks.
You may be asked to complete an initial assessment screening tool to help us decide which course is right for you.
Teaching and learning will take place partly in the classroom and partly online.
Delivery will be varied to suit individual styles and will include:
- presentations and lectures from your tutors
- independent research
- assignment tasks/projects
- group and pair work
- self-directed study
Assessment will be based on a portfolio of work produced throughout the course.
Over the 15 weeks you will also work on your Personal Development Plan (PDP) and Career Action Plan. You will be asked to complete a reflective diary each week and this will be submitted at the end of the course.
- Skills for Further Study course in preparation for an Access Course
- Access Course
- Paid Employment
- Workplace QCF (NVQ)