Is this course right for me?
Are you interested in pursuing an exciting career in Engineering? This course provides you with the introductory skills and foundation knowledge to prepare you for work in a variety of engineering roles, in both the service and manufacturing industries.
The course is work-related and you will learn by completing projects and assessments that are based on realistic workplace situations. The qualification is valued by both employers and will prepare you for the workplace and educational progress.
- All places on the programme are subject to interview
- 2 GCSEs, Grade ‘D’ or above to include Mathematics and English or Welsh Language
- Equivalent qualifications and/or experience will be considered on an individual basis
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- practical workshop sessions
- classroom sessions
- student centred work
- demonstrations and presentations
- group discussions
- virtual learning environment (MOODLE)
- further study of GCSE Mathematics and English at a higher level
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical and written assessments/assignments
- Online assessment
- Presentations and demonstrations
- Portfolio building
- Performance and observation
- Demonstration of practical skills
Completion of this course along with a GCSE Grade ‘C’ or above in Mathematics and English gives a number of options for progression including a full-time Level 2 Engineering course aimed at further developing your knowledge, skills and employment prospects.
Alternatively, you could apply for an appropriate Level 2 or Level 3 Engineering apprenticeship and attend college on a day release basis.
Areas of Engineering available to you will include manufacturing, maintenance, tool making and technical support. You will also have the choice of working in more specialised areas of engineering if you continue through further training at a higher level. This is an industry-recognised qualification and it develops your engineering knowledge and skills.