Is this course right for me?
Would you like a career in the diverse sports and outdoors industry? Are you looking for an exciting and varied course?
Snowdonia is one of the UK’s top areas for outdoor pursuits and adventure recreation. This course develops your knowledge and skills in a range of outdoor sports, including rock climbing, hillwalking, gorge scrambling and canoeing. You don’t need to have previous experience of the outdoors, but must be willing to have a go at many sports in any weather.
You will study topics such as land and water-based outdoor activities, Expeditions, Training for Personal Fitness, Practical Sports, Anatomy and Physiology as well as completing a Work Experience placement.
You will have an outdoor day every week and will be able to take part in a number of trips including an overnight expedition.
Depending on your progress through the year, there is also the opportunity to achieve the Duke of Edinburgh award at Bronze level.
- 3 GCSEs at grade D or above and 1 GCSE at grade E, to include GCSE Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st Language) at grade D or E
- Level 1 Diploma pass in a relevant subject
- Attendance at an interview
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Outdoor Activities
- Group work
- Classroom based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical and written assessments/assignments
- Presentations and demonstrations
- Portfolios of work
- Performance and observation
- Two units will be assessed by external exam.
Completion of this course will provide you with various options in employment and education.
This course acts as a stepping stone onto more advanced study at Level 3, and there are a number of suitable programmes available at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including:
- Public Services Level 3
- Sport (Outdoor Adventure) Level 3
- Sport (Performance and Excellence) Level 3
- Sport (Sport and Exercise Science) Level 3
- Sport (Sports Coaching, Development and Fitness) Level 3
The course prepares you for employment in this fast-growing sector, or in the broader sports industry.
If you wish to move directly into employment, you will have a number of options in the public and private sectors. You could enter the leisure industry, the health and fitness industry, the armed forces or the emergency services. You could also try to pursue a career as a professional or semi-professional outdoor athlete.