Is this course right for me?
The course will cover current legislation, the manufacturer’s handbook, safety procedures, steering, lifting and carrying procedures etc.
Course topics include:
- Basic understanding of the industry, the dangers of working in the industry and your responsibilities as a plant operator
- Working knowledge of the manufacturer’s handbook of the particular machine used. You will be taught to locate and identify the major components of the machine and explain their functions, to locate and identify steering, driving and braking controls and explain their function
- Conduct all pre-operational checks in accordance with manufacturer’s and legislative requirements
- Conduct all the necessary safety checks at the work area
- Manoeuvre the machine to the work area and correctly configure in readiness to carry out lifting and load handling tasks
- Carry out lifting and load handling tasks, lift and transfer loads accurately and safely at different locations
- Carry out all end of shift and shut down procedures
The fork lift truck used for the training at Coleg Menai is GAS OPERATED. Training can be carried out at the employer’s address using their own machine if required.
- All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
- lectures with written notes
- theory work
- group work
- practical sessions
Candidates will complete a Test of Lift Truck Practical Operating Skills. This is endorsed by NPORS (National Plant Operators Registration Scheme).
This test requires the trainee to manoeuvre a loaded truck, forwards and in reverse, through a chicane and to carry out a series of stacking exercises within a main aisle. Finally the load is deposited, squarely, close to a vertical face and the truck parked correctly.
On completion of the test the trainee will have stacked and destacked at – High Level, Eye Level and Low Level.
The Fork Lift Truck licence allows you to operate a Fork Lift Truck for 3 years. After this time, it is up to the employer to decide if refresher training is required.
We offer follow up courses
- Semi-Experienced/Untested (2 day course)
- Conversion (1 day course)
- Refresher (1 day course)