Is this course right for me?
Staff currently working in either the libraries, archives or records management sectors who desire a qualification to prove work-based competency.
The Level 3 Diploma is designed for staff who have a minimum of 2 years experience of working in a library or information unit.
You must be currently employed in the Libraries, Archives or Records Management sector.
The course is delivered in the workplace. Online support material is also available via Onefile e-portfolio system.
You will need to complete four mandatory units and a range of optional units (up to 27 credits):
- Approaches to the organisation of information and/or material
- Supporting users to make use of digital resources
- Creating and maintaining a user-focussed environment
- Helping users to obtain access to information and/or material
- Promoting Libraries, Archives and Information Services
- Providing induction and orientation activities for users
- Engaging with the wider community
- Family History
- Health Information
- Local Studies
- Reader Development
- Allocating and checking work in a team
- Developing productive working relationships with colleagues
- Issuing information and/or material
- Leading a team
- Locating and replacing information and/or material
- Managing own resources and professional development
- Protecting, securing and copying information and/or material
- Understanding the Libraries, Archives and Information Services environment
- Understanding the Libraries, Archives and Information Service organisation
- Up to 21 credits can be brought forward from the Level 2 certificate and used towards this qualification.
No whole award is available at Level 4 but learners will be able to use the credits from these units towards a HE qualification.
Work/competency-based assessment. Units are assessed by a portfolio of evidence, gathered from the learner’s work.
Once you have completed the course you could go onto study for:
- Professional Development Award (PDA) Applications of ICT in Libraries Level 7 (Wales Level 4)
- Professional Development Award (PDA) Application of ICT in Libraries Level 8 (Wales Level 5)
- Foundation Degree (FdA) Library and Information Management