Is this course right for me?
This framework is to develop knowledge and skills and provide occupational competence for people who work with children (and their families) in settings or services (primarily those in the early years) that focus on children’s care, learning and development. It is suitable for people seeking to join the early years or children's care, learning and development sector, and provides training and development opportunities for workers already employed within the sector e.g. day nurseries, playgroups, nurseries.
Level 2 - for those who are working under supervision such as a nursery assistant worker/practitioner or playgroup assistant practitioner. These workers provide care that supports the physical, intellectual, language, emotional and social development of children.
Level 3 - for those who work on their own initiative, planning and organising their own work and/or supervising others, for example, a nursery practitioner, playgroup leader or a childminder working on their own at home. These workers also provide care that supports the physical, intellectual, language, emotional and social development of children but work more autonomously and have some development or supervisory activities for other staff.
For more information, contact the campus of your choice:
- Rhos-on-Sea: 01492 546 666 ext. 1750
- Rhos-on-Sea: 01492 546 666 ext. 1721
- Bangor: 01248 370 125 ext. 7805
- Caernarfon: 01286 673 450 ext. 5436
Childcare, Learning and Development Level 3
Childcare Apprentice of the Year 2018
Coming from a background in Zoology, Katy wanted to find a new role that fitted in around her family commitments. Having gained a position at St Gwynan’s Pre-school, Katy successfully completed the Childcare, Learning and Development Level 3 – winning Childcare Apprentice of the Year 2018 along the way!
The college has helped me to achieve my potential and build a new career. I receive all the help and support I needed, especially as I was nervous about making a change in my career. It proved it’s never too late to go back to school! I now hope to continue with my studies at Level 5 or as a Teaching Assistant.
- For Level 2, no formal qualifications are required but employment in childcare is needed. For Level 3, you must be able to show supervisory skills.
- Your employer must be able to meet the QCF criteria.
- You must have adequate WEST results.
- The majority of training is provided in the workplace
- Attendance of college-based 'Essential Skills Qualifications' (ESQ) will be required
- Theory sessions will also be offered in college
- Completion of a portfolio of evidence (preferably electronic)
- The competenancy units will be a mixture of knowledge, understanding and skills which means that some part of the qualification will be directly observed by the Assessor, in order to see the learner practice in the workplace.
- Completion of ESQs in communication and application of number will be required.
From Foundation Apprenticeship Level 2 to an Apprenticeship Level 3. Apprenticeship Level 3 can go on to Degree level.