Is this course right for me?
Are you currently working in a hair salon? Are you looking to develop your career and your technical skills? This apprenticeship course helps you to progress into top hairdressing jobs, including managerial roles, work as a demonstrator, positions in leading salons and jobs on cruise liners. It is also one of the only acceptable qualifications for work abroad, giving you even more options for success.
The course is suitable for students progressing from a relevant Level 2 qualification, or from existing professional knowledge. You must be currently employed in the industry and looking to study on a day release basis.
- You must be currently employed in a hairdressing salon
- You should have a Level 2 hairdressing qualification, or equivalent professional knowledge
- You must be enthusiastic, committed and willing to learn
- You must have a calm, caring personality and well-groomed appearance
- You will be required to attend an interview and provide a reference
- You will be expected to purchase kit, uniform and books, costing approximately £270 (subject to change)
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The course is delivered through a blend of the following:
- Theory classes
- Practical workshops
- Real salon environments at the college
- Commercial sessions
- Role play exercises
- Group work
The course is assessed through a blend of the following:
- Portfolio of practical assessments for each unit
- Assignments and tasks
- Multiple-choice tests covering the underpinning knowledge
- Your behaviour will also count towards your assessment, in terms of maturity, development, interaction and communication
The Level 3 qualification will help you progress in the right direction towards a challenging career. You will be able to seek additional responsibilities in your workplace, and may be able to work in a supervisory or managerial role. You will have a range of options for working as a stylist, in salons across the UK and in other countries.
If you want to advance further in education, you may have the option of proceeding into Higher Education on either a full-time or part-time basis. You could undertake a City and Guilds Higher Professional qualification at a number of institutions, which would enhance your skills and employability even further and give you a qualification at Level 4 or above.
Additional campus/course information:
Are you ready for success? Follow our Certificate in Hairdressing Level 3 NVQ to gain the only qualification accepted to work abroad, and become a specialist and work in one of the top careers open to a hairdresser.
This course will develop your practical experience and underpinning knowledge of Hairdressing. The qualification comprises four mandatory units and five optional units.
- Client consultation
- Dressing hair (including long hair)
- Effective running of a Salon
- Health and Safety in the Salon
- Specialised skills in haircutting, permanent waving, colouring and colour correction
You will also study Key Skills in communication, application of number and IT, as well as looking into the rights and responsibilities of employers.
The course consists of the following units:
- Creatively cut hair using a combination of techniques
- Provide hairdressing consultation services
- Promote additional services or products to customers
- Monitor procedures to safely control work operations
Optional units (group 1):
- Colour hair using a variety of techniques
- Provide colour correction services
- Creatively style and dress hair
- Creatively dress long hair
- Develop and enhance creative hairdressing skills
- Create a variety of permed effects
- Provide creative hair extension services
- Provide specialist consultation services for hair and scalp conditions
- Provide hair and scalp treatments
Optional units (group 2):
- Contribute to the financial effectiveness of the business
- Support customer service improvements
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of promotional activities