Is this course right for me?
Are you working as a stylist, or are you about to start your career in hairdressing? Would you like to enhance your knowledge and technical skills? This apprenticeship course enables you to gain a valuable Level 2 qualification whilst you work. It builds on your existing understanding and helps you to excel as a stylist.
The course covers all aspects of ladies' hairstyling, training you to a high standard in cutting, perming, colouring, bleaching, blow-drying and setting, as well hair/scalp treatments. In addition, you can acquire knowledge and skills in reception, health and safety and retailing.
- You must be currently employed in a hairdressing salon
- You should have a Level 1 hairdressing qualification, or equivalent professional knowledge
- You must be enthusiastic, committed and willing to learn
- You must have a calm, caring personality and well-groomed appearance
- You will be required to attend an interview and provide a reference
- You will be expected to purchase kit, uniform and books, costing approximately £270 (subject to change)
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The course is delivered through a blend of the following:
- Theory classes
- Practical workshops
- Real salon environments at the college
- Commercial sessions
- Role play exercises
- Group work
The course is assessed through a blend of the following:
- Portfolio of practical assessments for each unit
- Assignments and tasks
- Multiple-choice tests covering the underpinning knowledge
- Your behaviour will also count towards your assessment, in terms of maturity, development, interaction and communication
The course gives you a valuable qualification and brings your hairdressing skills up to an advanced level. You will have the ability to excel, and will be able to progress from a junior position into a full stylist role.
You will also be prepared for further study at a more advanced level. You could continue to study part-time and progress onto the NVQ 3 Hairdressing Apprenticeship course, which is also offered at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai.
Additional campus/course information:
Aimed at those who would like to pursue a career in the exciting, fashion- orientated world of Hairdressing.
This is a practical course to enable you to become a stylist. You will study all aspects of Ladies' and Mens' hairstyling including cutting, perming, colouring, setting, blow-drying, long hair, hair/scalp treatments, client consultation, reception, and health and safety. The course will provide you with the knowledge to pursue a career in Hairdressing.
The course consists of the following units:
- Cut hair using basic techniques
- Set and dress hair
- Style and finish hair
- Change hair colour
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Advise and consult with clients
- Give customers a positive impression of yourself and your organisation
- Ensure responsibility for actions to reduce risk to health and safety.
- Fulfil salon reception duties
- Promote additional services or products to customers
- Develop and maintain effectiveness at work
- Plait and twist hair
- Perm and neutralise hair
- Attach hair to enhance a style
Additional Essential Skills units:
- Communications Level 2
- Application of Number Level 1
- Information Technology Level 1