Is this course right for me?
Are you thinking seriously about becoming a professional artist or designer? Would like to work and study alongside others who are keen and talented? If so, you should consider applying for the BA (Hons) Fine Art degree course.
The course is available on a full-time basis, and is specifically designed to prepare you for Higher Education and future employment within the discipline of Art and Design. It is suitable for a range of students, with a variety of academic and creative backgrounds.
More detailed information on Modules is to be found in the ‘Additional Campus/Course Information’ section.
Visit the Financial Support and Finance page for more information.
More detailed information on other costs associated with your course and work placements/work experience (if applicable) will be outlined in the programme validation document and explained to you at your interview.
- 96 UCAS points, to include A Level or relevant qualification including Edexcel National / NVQ3, or
- Level 3/4 Diploma in Foundation Studies: Art and Design
- Mature learners with a suitable portfolio of work.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The BA (Hons) Fine Art runs on 3 days contact time with 1 day self-directed study over 30 academic weeks.
Each student is given a personal/year tutor who will support him/her through their studies.
The course is assessed through a blend of the following:
- Blog Reviews and reflective statements
- Final piece
- Dissertation proposal
- Dissertation / Catalogue website
There are a number of career paths open to graduates in Fine Art:
- Further study to MA and PHD Level
- Curator and Exhibition Officers in Galleries and Museums
- Teaching (primary, secondary and Further Education) - this programme does not lead to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) but may provide an opportunity for graduates to proceed to QTS via Postgraduate Certificate in Education or other QTS awarding route
- Running creative workshops
Fine Art Graduates are often sought after in other areas of the creative industries because of their ability to think creatively outside the box and the transferable skills that they have accumulated through BA-level study.
Additional campus/course information:
- Parc Menai
The BA in Fine Art at Coleg Menai aims to be a challenging and exciting experience taught by practising artists with National and international reputations. This course offers learners the chance to explore personal themes, ideas and creative concerns through a wide variety of disciplines including: drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking and multimedia activity.
Creative futures modules develop various projects with external partners and organisations; these equip learners with an understanding of the wider opportunities for a vocation within the Arts sector.
- Fine art in context 1
- Introductory subject studies
- Principles in fine art
- Materials and processes 1
- Creative futures 1
- Studio practice 1
- Fine art in context 2
- Studio practice 2
- Fine art research methods
- Materials and processes 2
- Creative futures 2
- Fine art in context 3
- Negotiated study 1
- Negotiated study 2
- Creative Futures 3
All students are expected to participate in study visits and should budget approximately £200 for this.