Important Entry Requirement & Application Update
Once you've applied, you will be invited to attend a virtual information event at the beginning of 2021. At this event, you will have the opportunity to find out more about your course, meet the staff and ask any questions that you may have.
If your course requires an interview you will receive an email with details about your video call. There will be no need for you to come on site. Don't worry if you don't receive an email about an interview, not every course needs one.
Is this course right for me?
Would you like to progress into Higher Education? Do you want to prepare for studying a degree in art and design or a related subject? This course gives you the knowledge, skills and confidence to progress onto a related higher education course.
The aim of the All Wales Access to HE Diplomas is to give you the skills necessary to progress to and successfully participate in a programme of higher education. They are targeted at learners who have substantial life experience gained since completing compulsory schooling.
You will study subject areas such as: Textiles, Graphics, 3D Design, Fine Art, Ceramics and Photography.
In order to qualify for this course, you will need at least one of the following:
- GCSE Grade C including Mathematics or English or Welsh 1st Language, as required by the route of progression to university. You should have at least three years of relevant life skills gained after compulsory education.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to attend an interview to give you the opportunity to discuss the course.
This course is delivered as follows:
- Group work
- Classroom based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment).
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical and written assessments/assignments
- Presentations and demonstrations
- Portfolios of work
- Performance and observation
- There will be at least one time-constrained unseen exercise for every academic subject module.
You could proceed onto a number of programmes at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including:
- BA (Hons) Fine Art, available at Parc Menai, Bangor
- Foundation Degree (FdA) Art and Design, available at Parc Menai (Bangor)
- Foundation Degree (FdA) Photography available at Rhos-on-Sea.
You could also progress onto an Art-related Higher Education course at another institute or gain employment in the creative sector, such as a Graphic Designer or Illustrator.