Is this course right for me?
The course is designed for anybody who wants to learn counselling skills to help others, either in a voluntary or an employed situation, and for people who want to find out more about this field with a view to continuing with training.
The course aims to provide an overview of how counselling skills can be utilised in a range of different situations by covering areas such as:
- Ethics, safety and boundaries
- Working empathically as a helper
- Focussing on the helpee’s needs and concerns
- Self awareness in helping work
- Using a range of counselling skills to facilitate the helping interaction
- Using feedback and reflection to enhance counselling skills.
No formal qualifications are required, but potential applicants should understand that the college's counselling qualifications would not be suitable for those who are currently experiencing emotional difficulties.
The course does involve learner skills practice that necessarily involves considerable personal disclosure, associated personal developmental activities and related self-reflection.
The course is delivered through:
- Practical activities
Learning outcomes will be formally assessed by a variety of means, including:
- Written assignments
- Class-based activities
You could proceed onto a number of programmes at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including:
- Counselling Level 3: Certificate in Counselling Studies