Is this course right for me?
This is an introductory course which is designed to introduce people to counselling and identify the skills required for development in their professional or personal role.
The objective of the course is to identify situations in professional practice which require the use of counselling skills such as empathic listening, and to appreciate attitudes, prejudices, values which may help or hinder the counselling relationship.
It will help you to:
- develop an understanding of core counselling skills which includes active, empathic listening and effective responding;
- become aware of the boundaries of your professional role e.g. tutor role in teaching and know when referral to another person/agency is desirable.
No formal requirements necessary.
The course is delivered through:
- Practical activities
This course is assessed via:
- a learning journal
- self assessment
- peer appraisal
- evaluation through discussion.
You could proceed onto a number of courses at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including:
- Counselling: Certificate in Counselling Skills Level 2
- Counselling: CPCAB Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies