Is this course right for me?
Would you like a career in land-based engineering? Would you like to develop your skills at an advanced level?
This course builds on your existing knowledge of engineering within the land-based industries. It gives a specialised knowledge of maintaining, servicing and repairing the equipment used within the sector. It also covers aspects of management and the running requirements of organisations. As well as preparing for a career, you will gain the skills to proceed into Higher Education.
The course is suitable for students progressing from Land-based Engineering Level 2 or from a Level 2 Work-based course. It is also ideal if you are proceeding from GCSE achievements, or from relevant experience.
You will gain valuable hands-on experience through practical training sessions. You will also benefit from the excellent facilities of our Glynllifon campus and the expertise of our staff.
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or above, including GCSE Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st Language) at grade C or D
- Level 2 Diploma pass in a relevant subject
- Attendance at an interview
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Practical work, with classroom work to develop understanding
- The Glynllifon site is 750 acres of farm and woodlands, with facilities for agricultural engineering, electrical engineering and welding, allowing your studies to be carried out in a realistic setting.
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical assessment for most units
- Written assignments to show your understanding
Successful completion of the course will give you a range of options. The qualification is equal to 3 A Levels, and many students have progressed into Higher Education to study HNDs, Foundation degrees or Honours degrees.
You could proceed onto a number of higher education programmes at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including Foundation Degree (FdSc) Agriculture, run jointly by Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor and Coleg Cambria in partnership with Aberystwyth University.
You could also proceed into employment, as you will have the skills to work at an advanced level, or you could choose to study a Higher Education course whilst you work.