Important Entry Requirement & Application Update
Once you've applied, you will be invited to attend a virtual information event at the beginning of 2021. At this event, you will have the opportunity to find out more about your course, meet the staff and ask any questions that you may have.
If your course requires an interview you will receive an email with details about your video call. There will be no need for you to come on site. Don't worry if you don't receive an email about an interview, not every course needs one.
Is this course right for me?
Would you like a career in land-based engineering? Would you like to develop your skills at an advanced level?
This course builds on your existing knowledge of engineering within the land-based industries. It gives a specialised knowledge of maintaining, servicing and repairing the equipment used within the sector. It also covers aspects of management and the running requirements of organisations. As well as preparing for a career, you will gain the skills to proceed into Higher Education.
The course is suitable for students progressing from Land-based Engineering Level 2 or from a Level 2 Work-based course. It is also ideal if you are proceeding from GCSE achievements, or from relevant experience.
You will gain valuable hands-on experience through practical training sessions. You will also benefit from the excellent facilities of our Glynllifon campus and the expertise of our staff.
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or above, including English or Welsh 1st Language and Maths; or
- A relevant Level 2 qualification at Merit; or
- Relevant industry experience
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Practically based to gain experience of working on agricultural technology and systems
- Classroom work to develop understanding of engineering systems and their application.
- Bilingual delivery, with learning materials available in Welsh and English
The Glynllifon site is 750 acres of farm and woodlands, including dairy, sheep, beef and pig enterprises. You will be working with the farm animals, equipment and specialist agricultural resources to gain skills and knowledge in a realistic setting.
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Portfolio assignments to demonstrate your understanding of some units
- A practical and written synoptic assessment covering a number of units
- External formal examination of core units
Successful completion of the course will give you a range of options. The qualification is equal to 3 A Levels, and many students have progressed into Higher Education to study HNDs, Foundation degrees or Honours degrees.
You could proceed onto a number of higher education programmes at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai.
You could also proceed into employment, as you will have the skills to work at an advanced level, or you could choose to study a Higher Education course whilst you work.