Is this course right for me?
Are you looking to start a career in forestry or countryside and environment management? Would you like to develop your skills at an advanced level?
This course builds your knowledge of the sector, including aspects of wildlife, habitats, ecology and conservation. It prepares you to enter a range of careers, including those dealing with countryside organisations, their policy and planning, and their relationships to other bodies like Natural Resources Wales, RSPB and local councils. It also provides a vocational route into Higher Education.
The course is suitable for students progressing from a related Level 2 course, from GCSE achievements, or from prior experience. The course reflects the sector's need for competent, well trained countryside managers. It focuses on hands-on learning, with practical training sessions and work on the extensive Glynllifon estate. You will benefit from the excellent facilities of our campus and the expertise of our staff.
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or above, including GCSE Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st Language) at grade C or D
- Level 2 Diploma pass in a relevant subject
- Attendance at an interview
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Practical work, with some classroom work to develop understanding.
- The Glynllifon site is 750 acres of farm and woodlands, with specialist and well-equipped forestry resources, allowing your studies to be carried out in a realistic setting.
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical assessment for most units
- Written assignments to show your understanding
Successful completion of the course will give you a range of options. The qualification is equivalent to 3 A Levels, and many students have progressed into Higher Education to study HNDs, Foundation degrees or Honours degrees.
You could proceed onto a number of higher education programmes programmes at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including Foundation Degree (FdSc) Agriculture, run jointly by Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor and Coleg Cambria in partnership with Aberystwyth University.
You will have enhanced your employment options and will have the skills to work at an advanced level. You could also proceed into an Apprenticeship or into employment. You would also have the option of studying a Higher Education course whilst you work.
You will be able to discuss your career and employment options with your personal tutor or the careers guidance team.