Is this course right for me?
Do you have a keen interest in sports and fitness? Would you like to gain a detailed knowledge of these areas?
This course covers a wide range of sports and training methods, giving you practical skills and theoretical understanding. You will investigate the current issues in sports coaching and the principles of fitness. This involves aspects of sports development, exercise for specific groups, talent identification and organising sports events.
Throughout the course, you will benefit from the experience of the College's sports staff, many of whom are current practitioners in their respective fields. This will enable you to put into practice what has been learnt in the classroom. You will develop the knowledge, confidence and leadership skills to start your career, or to progress into Higher Education. You will be able to work or study in fields such as sports development, sports coaching, fitness instructing and physical education.
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or above, including GCSE Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st Language) at grade C or D
- Level 2 Diploma pass in a relevant subject
- Attendance at an interview
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Group work
- Classroom based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- Practical and written assessments/assignments
- Presentations and demonstrations
- Portfolios of work
- Performance and observation
There may also be some external tests.
You will be able to progress into Higher Education courses at a range of institutions, where you could study higher qualifications in Sports Coaching, Sports Science or Sports Management.
You could proceed onto a number of programmes at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including:
- Foundation Degree (FdSc) Sport Science (Sports Coaching)
- Foundation Degree (FdSc) Sports Science (Outdoor Recreation)
You will be able to enter the industry in areas such as sports development, coaching and personal training. You could also apply for education authority roles in obesity training and healthy eating schemes. Alternatively, you could also enter the armed forces or the emergency services.