Is this course right for me?
Would you like a career with animals? Would you like to develop your skills at an advanced level?
This course builds on your existing knowledge of animal care, preparing you to operate at a management level whilst also understanding the theoretical and practical aspects of handling and caring for animals. It also provides a vocational route into Higher Education.
The course is suitable for students progressing from Animal Care Level 2, or a Level 2 Work-based course. It is also ideal if you are proceeding from GCSE achievements, or from relevant experience.
Through theory and practical training sessions, you will gain the necessary experience for a variety of animal management jobs. You will benefit from the excellent facilities of our Glynllifon campus, including the range of species housed in our animal centre.
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or above, including GCSE Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st Language) at grade C or D, or,
- Level 2 Diploma pass in a relevant subject.
- Attendance at an interview.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Theory-based, with some practical sessions to develop hands-on experience
- Bilingual delivery, with learning materials available in Welsh and English
The Glynllifon site is 750 acres of farm and woodland, with its own indoor riding centre and animal centre, allowing your studies to be carried out in a realistic setting.
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Portfolio assignments to show your understanding for most units
- Practical assessment for some units
Successful completion of the course will give you a range of options.
The qualification is equivalent to 3 A Levels, and many students have progressed into Higher Education to study HNDs, Foundation degrees or Honours degrees. You could also study the Veterinary Nursing Level 3 course at Glynllifon.
You would also have the option of studying a Higher Education course whilst you work.