Is this course right for me?
Would you like a career in animal care? Could you benefit from a practical Level 2 programme?
This programme is designed for students who want to work in the animal care sector. This includes working with companion animals, animal collections and animal charity organisations. The programme prepares you to start work in this area, or to progress onto vocational qualifications at an advanced level.
The programme is suitable for students progressing from a related Level 1 qualification, or from GCSEs. It is also ideal for adults, who may already be employed in this sector.
- 3 GCSEs at grade D or above and 1 GCSE at grade E, to include GCSE Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st Language) at grade D or E, or,
- Level 1 Diploma pass in a relevant subject.
- Attendance at an interview.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Practical work, with some classroom work to develop understanding
- Visits to animal establishments and working with different animal species
- Classroom tasks
- Field trips and excursions to broaden experience
You will study a variety of subject-specific modules, in addition to literacy and numeracy skills.
The Glynllifon site is 750 acres of farm and woodlands, with specialist animal care facilities.
The programme is assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical assessment for most units
- Written assignments to show your understanding
- Classroom tasks
- Examination (end of year)
Successful completion of the programme will give you a range of options.
You will be able progress onto a number of Level 3 programmes, including:
- Animal Management Level 3
- Veterinary Nursing Level 3
If you have achieved three or more Merits and have GCSE English Language and two Sciences at grade C, you will have fulfilled the academic criteria for Veterinary Nursing.
You will also have enhanced your employment options.