Important Entry Requirement & Application Update
College is still accepting online applications for courses starting in September 2020.
Interviews are cancelled to help to limit social contact during this time.
Instead, you will be invited to a college welcome event to meet the tutors before the start of the course. If you do not meet the entry criteria you will have the opportunity to discuss an alternative programme during this event.
Is this course right for me?
This course provides you with the knowledge and skills to meet the specialist administrative and secretarial needs of a range of health care occupations as found in hospitals, community health, general and private practice, research, the pharmaceutical industry and complementary medicine.
The qualifications have been designed to enable candidates to progress directly into employment.
This course prepares you for reception and admin work in any section of the health care service. This includes general medical practices, dental practices, hospital wards, medical records offices, opticians and health authorities. The course is suitable for those with no previous experience, and will allow you to obtain the fundamental knowledge to enter this type of employment. It is available on a part-time or full-time basis, so can suit a range of circumstances.
In order to qualify for this course, you will need at least one of the following:
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or above, including English or Welsh 1st Language and Maths
- A relevant Level 2 qualification at Pass
- Relevant industry experience
As part of the application process, you will be asked to attend an interview to give you the opportunity to discuss the course.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Taught sessions in classroom and IT suite settings, using discussion, exercises, activities, worksheets, assignments, direct instructions, lecture sessions, videos and other learning methods
- You will also benefit from a number of outside visits, and from guest lecturers/speakers
- Homework will form an integral part of the course
- Work experience is a compulsory part of the course, and the college will assist in making the necessary arrangements.
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Nationally set assessments
- External tests
- Portfolio of evidence for the work experience
Completion of this course will give you a number of options in education and employment.
You will have gained important skills for a career in secretarial and administrative work, and will have specialised knowledge for a range of medical workplaces.
You could proceed onto a number of higher education programmes at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including:
- HNC/D Business Studies
- Foundation Degree (FdA) Management and Business
- BA (Hons) Management and Business