Is this course right for me?
Are you looking to gain practical experience of welding work?
This course introduces you to the fundamental techniques of welding. It allows you to gain multiple qualifications, and is suitable for anyone with a genuine interest in welding and fabrication.
The course covers a range of basic welding tasks such as creating welded and brazed joints. The practical knowledge you gain will be relevant to steel work, shipbuilding, car maintenance, plumbing, sculpting, general maintenance and many other areas.
- 3 GCSEs at grade D or above and 1 GCSE at grade E, to include GCSE Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st Language) at grade D or E,
- Level 1 Diploma pass in a relevant subject
- Attendance at an interview.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Practical demonstrations
- Realistic working tasks
- Lectures to develop underpinning knowledge
- Assignment work
You will also be expected to undertake the following qualifications as part of the course*:
- Application of Number
- Essential Skills Wales
- Information Computing Technology
* If you already possess any of the above qualifications then you will not be expected to attend these sessions (certificates will need to be produced as evidence).
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Internal practical assessment
- Online assessment
- Oral questioning
- Written questions
- Short learner task sheets for you to complete independently
Completion of this course will give you the fundamental skills and knowledge to complete fabrication/welding work.
You could apply your learning to a range of industries including motor vehicle, sculpting, general maintenance; or progress to a Level 3 qualification.
The course will also prepare you for studying at a more advanced level.
You could proceed onto a number of programmes at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including:
- Fabrication and Welding Level 3
- Automotive Engineering Level 2
Additional campus/course information:
The Centre for Automotive Technology at the Rhyl Campus is equipped to the latest industry standards, including Heavy Goods Vehicle Brake Tester, 4 Wheel Drive Rolling Road Dynamometer, 4-Wheel Alignment, a superb Auto-Electronics Diagnostic Room, USI Spray Booths, Lechler Mixing Scheme, Car-OLiner Body Jig and Alignment System, Welding Bays, Valeting Bay, plus Hybrid Technology and Vehicle Climate Control Systems.