Is this course right for me?
Are you thinking seriously about becoming a professional artist or designer? Would like to work and study alongside others who are keen and talented? If so, you should consider applying for the WJEC Foundation course.
The course is available on a full-time basis, and is specifically designed to prepare you for Higher Education and future employment within the discipline of Art and Design. It is suitable for a range of students, with a variety of academic and creative backgrounds.
You will find the course to be a uniquely enjoyable and stimulating experience. You will be taking the first step in training as a professional artist or designer, with opportunities to explore a wide range of specialist art and design subjects. The standards of work achieved on the WJEC Foundation course are high, and will prepare you for the highly competitive demands of Higher Education.
You will need to attend an interview, and demonstrate your suitability by showing a portfolio of work. This should normally include a substantial number of drawings done from observation, as well as paintings, crafts, textiles, 3D work, photography, and any other creative work you have produced.
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or above, including GCSE Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st Language) at grade C or D
- Level 2 Diploma pass in a relevant subject
- Attendance at an interview
- Applicants that have not achieved a grade C in GCSE Welsh, English and/or Maths required to enrol on the course have the opportunity to resit as part of the programme of learning. Please contact the college for further information.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Group work
- Studio and workshop based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits to a European country
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- Google Classroom
- Practising Artists and Designers
The programme is assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical and written assessments/assignments
- Individual Presentations to specialist tutors
- Portfolios of work, including blog
- Performance and observation
Completion of this course will give you the knowledge, skills and qualification to progress into Higher Education. On the evidence of recent years, and UCAS data, students who complete the WJEC Foundation course have an excellent chance of gaining a place on a higher level course, including many of the best degree courses in the UK.
All students are encouraged to apply for higher education courses across the UK. However, if you wish to study locally, Grŵp Llandrillo Menai offers a number of suitable higher education courses, including:
- Foundation Degree (FdA) Art and Design
- BA (Hons) Fine Art
- Foundation Degree (FdA) Photography (and BA (Hons) Photography (Top-up))
Other options for Higher Education include specialist art and design degree courses, in areas such as fashion, textiles, fine art, graphic design, photography, multimedia, 3D design, design crafts, product design, furniture design and architecture, to name a few of the areas available.
Specialist careers advice is available from our staff, as well as on visits to colleges and universities.