Is this course right for me?
Do you have an active interest in performing? Would you like to develop your skills and your options for the future?
This course is designed to encourage a range of skills, including acting in a range of styles, directing, scripting, performing physical theatre, and preparing for auditions. You will gain a valuable insight into the performing arts, and be able to work in a professional manner with people who have the same interests.
The course is suitable if you are progressing from attainment at GCSE level, or from a relevant Level 2 course. As well as developing your own abilities, you have the opportunity to understand the related industry, and prepare for your career.
Places on the programme are subject to interview and audition.
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or above, including GCSE Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st Language) at grade C or D
- Level 2 Diploma pass in a relevant subject
- Attendance at an interview
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Group work
- Classroom and theatre-based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- Google Classroom
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical and written assessments/assignments
- Presentations and demonstrations
- Portfolios and logbooks of activities
- Performance and observation
Many students will choose to continue developing their performance skills at a higher level. Your options will include:
- Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Performing Arts (Acting)
- undergraduate study at university
- technical theatre training
- professional performance courses at drama, music or dance colleges
The course also prepares you for a range of careers, both in the performing arts and in other sectors. Some former students now work in professional singing, dancing and acting, performance company management, entertainments management, theatre management, choreography, and community arts, as well as cruise management, teaching, sales and tourism.