Important Entry Requirement & Application Update
College is still accepting online applications for courses starting in September 2020.
Interviews are cancelled to help to limit social contact during this time.
Instead, you will be invited to a college welcome event to meet the tutors before the start of the course. If you do not meet the entry criteria you will have the opportunity to discuss an alternative programme during this event.
Is this course right for me?
Would you like to start a career in painting and decorating?
This programme introduces you to the introductory techniques of professional painting, preparing you to start working in this trade. You will also learn basic decorative effects, including rag rolling, sponging, bagging, flogging and stencil work.
The programme is suitable for a variety of people looking to work in painting and decorating. This includes students progressing from school and professionals from other sectors looking for a change of career. You will gain the practical knowledge you need to proceed onto Level 2 or into the industry.
In order to qualify for this course, you will need at least one of the following:
- You will be expected to demonstrate a commitment to study by achieving your GCSE target grades and completing year 11 with good attendance.
- Successful completion of a Traineeship, Pre-vocational, Pathways or School Link Programme
- Relevant industry experience
As part of the application process, you will be asked to attend an interview to give you the opportunity to discuss the course.
You will study a variety of subject-specific modules, in addition to Literacy and Numeracy skills.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Practical sessions with excellent workshop facilities
- Training in a realistic work environment (RWE)
- All tools, equipment and materials are provided
- Theory lessons in well-equipped classrooms
This programme is assessed through a blend of the following:
- Multi-choice assignments
- Practical, synoptic test at the end
- GOLA online test
You could proceed onto Painting and Decorating Level 2 at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai. This will allow you to develop your skills further and take another step towards your new career.
If you progress directly into employment, you will have the basic training to work as a trainee.
Additional campus/course information:
Courses run at the £8.2 million Marine and Built Environment Centre (MBEC).