Is this course right for me?
Would you like a career in health and social care? Could you benefit from a practical introductory course? This course gives you a broad introduction to health and social, focusing on the needs of real job roles and situations. It allows you to develop the fundamental skills of the sector, and it brings your knowledge to the required level for a range of careers.
You will need to undertake 60 hours of work experience in Health or Social Care settings as part of this course.
After completing the course, you will be able to work in a number of roles, including community support worker or care assistant. The course also prepares and enables learners to progress to a level 3 qualification and eventual careers including nursing, social work and residential care management.
The health, social and childcare sector is about putting others before ourselves, therefore your interview will help us decide if you are suitable to engage with the more vulnerable members of society. In your interview, we will discuss the importance of suitable work experience in the sector. Work experience must be completed successfully to finish the course. The interview will also give you the opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the course, life at college, or working in the heath, social, or childcare sectors.
- 3 GCSEs at grade D or above and 1 GCSE at grade E, to include GCSE Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st Language) at grade D or E
- Level 1 Diploma pass in a relevant subject
- And, a clear enhanced DBS check and attendance at an interview
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Group work
- Classroom-based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- Sector guest speakers or events
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical and written assessments/assignments
- Presentations and demonstrations
- Portfolios of work
- Performance and observation
- Externally assessed examinations
- Work experience related tasks and portfolios
Completion of this course improves your employability and gives you important knowledge and skills. It will prepare you for a career in healthcare, social care or childcare, usually after further study.
In education, the course gives you a number of options. At Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, you could progress onto a number of courses, including:
- Childcare Level 3
- Health and Social Care Level 3