Important Entry Requirement & Application Update
Once you've applied, you will be invited to attend a virtual information event at the beginning of 2021. At this event, you will have the opportunity to find out more about your course, meet the staff and ask any questions that you may have.
If your course requires an interview you will receive an email with details about your video call. There will be no need for you to come on site. Don't worry if you don't receive an email about an interview, not every course needs one.
Is this course right for me?
If you are looking for a professional job in constructing the built environment then this is the course for you. The BTEC Level 3 in Advanced Construction programme is designed to give you a wide ranging knowledge applicable throughout the construction and civil engineering industry. On completion of this programme you will have access to a variety of professional jobs and/or Higher Education opportunities, for example:
- Structural Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Quantity Surveying
- Building Services Engineering
- Project Management
- Building Information Modelling
Although you can achieve a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma after 2 years, equivalent to 3 A Levels, you have the option to exit the programme after year 1 with a BTEC qualification equivalent to 3 AS Levels. Upon successful completion of the second year you can progress onto a range of higher educational courses, employment, or both. Higher educational courses could include a Higher Apprenticeship, a Higher Education Certificate, a Foundation Degree or Honours Degree, all completed at Grwp Llandrillo Menai, or at other universities.
The programme is both theoretical and work-related, letting you develop in-depth knowledge with professional applications. You will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations. For example you will take part in activities such as the thermal mapping of a building using state of the art technology (Thermal Imaging Camera). You will also take part in Building Design using various 3D modelling CAD platforms.
In order to qualify for this course, you will need at least one of the following:
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or above, including English or Welsh 1st Language, Maths and Science/Technology based subjects
- A relevant Level 2 qualification in construction
- Relevant industry experience (this will be subject to entry interview)
Where GCSE at grade C or above for Maths and English Language have not been previously attained these will have to be studied along with the main qualification on an additional day in college. As part of the application process, you will have the opportunity to discuss the course during the interview.
The programme is delivered through blended learning:
- Lectures (including on campus and online).
- Site visits (on site or virtual)
- Field trips (COVID Safety measure permitting)
- Practical application of skills and knowledge
The programme is assessed using the following methods after intensive training has been provided:
- Practical tasks (students should be aware that there is a one week mandatory surveying activity which covers five full days)
- External Exams
- Internal Exam
Completion of this programme provides a number of options in education and employment. You could progress into a Higher Education programme in a wide range of areas, including:
- Certificate in Higher Education Level 4 in Construction
- Certificate in Higher Education Level 4 in Civil Engineering
- Higher Apprenticeship in Construction
- Higher Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering
- Foundation Degree (FdSc) Construction
- Foundation Degree (FdEng) Civil Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering
- BSc (Hons) Construction Management
Additional campus/course information:
Watkin Jones scholarships are available.